Re: why AC_FUNC_WAIT3 is useless (was: AmigaOS fork())

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: why AC_FUNC_WAIT3 is useless (was: AmigaOS fork())
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:42:05 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
> Date: 13 Jun 2001 15:03:41 -0400
>
>   pe> However, this point is somewhat academic.  Nobody uses wait3
>   pe> anymore....
>
> GNU make uses wait3() if waitpid() doesn't exist, as well.

Sorry, I missed that, because I was looking only for instances of
AC_FUNC_WAIT3.  Let me update my claim more precisely as follows:

   Nobody really uses AC_FUNC_WAIT3 anymore.  I just checked all the GNU
   programs we have here.  None of them used AC_FUNC_WAIT3, except for
   Bash -- and Bash completely ignores the result of AC_FUNC_WAIT3
   because a later `AC_CHECK_FUNC(wait3, AC_DEFINE(HAVE_WAIT3))'
   overrides the result of AC_FUNC_WAIT3.

I submitted a bug report to the Bash maintainers about this, and
suggested that they remove their use of AC_FUNC_WAIT3.