Re: Default values for infodir and mandir [WAS: Re: [autoconf] doc dirs

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Default values for infodir and mandir [WAS: Re: [autoconf] doc dirs?]
Date: 21 Jun 2001 01:42:10 -0300

On Jun 20, 2001, Guido Draheim <address@hidden> wrote:

>> /usr/local/[man|info] for local packages
>> and reserves
>> /opt/[man|info] for "add-on" packages.

> Indeed! so in fact, it should still be $prefix/man etcetera,

Yep

> which leads me to the question where the /doc should go under,

Perhaps instead of --docdir we should have --doc-prefix, that defaults
to --prefix?  Then man, info, html, etc would all be in /usr/local by
default, but this could be easily overridden using --doc-prefix.

Another idea is to have mandir and infodir default to
prefix/{man,info} if --docdir is not specified (in which case it would
default to ${datadir}/doc, and to $doc_prefix/{man,info} otherwise
(not overriding --mandir or --infodir, of course).  Yes, I agree this
is messier to implement and describe, but it seems to make installers'
and distributors' lives simpler.

> Again, the docdir looks like a fairly standard directory,
> so it should be added to the defaultset of configure options.

The problem of adding configure options is that, in a multi-package
build (think of the so-called Cygnus top-level configure), all
configure scripts must accept the same set of options, even if they
ignore some, otherwise you can't use these options for any of the
packages.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}