Re: Fortran name-mangling scheme fails on HP-UX 11.11

From: Denis Barbier
Subject: Re: Fortran name-mangling scheme fails on HP-UX 11.11
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:46:34 +0200

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:27:20AM -0400, Steven G. Johnson wrote:
> This is actually a problem in AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS, and may represent
> the first general failure of the library detection scheme that we use.
> Sigh..
>
> If I correctly understand what you wrote, then your Fortran compiler
> compiler passes the library paths to the "real" compiler by setting the
> LPATH environment variable, not via the flags that we usually try to
> detect.  Fortunately, however, the necessary information is still included
> in the verbose (-v) compiler output:
[...]
> > LPATH is:
> > /opt/fortran90/lib/pa2.0/:/opt/fortran90/lib/:/usr/lib/:/opt/langtools/lib/
>
> So, I guess the solution will be to parse the "LPATH is:" line and turn it
> into a bunch of -L flags.  Can anyone see any pitfalls to this technique,
> or a cleaner solution?

There is indeed a problem with AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS here, and your
suggestion seems rather logical.

But there is no reason for AC_F77_WRAPPERS to require
AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS; in _AC_F77_NAME_MANGLING one may simply (well, i
have no idea whether this is simple or not) link against Fortran
compiler to suppress this dependency and have a safer AC_F77_WRAPPERS
macro. Or did i miss something obvious?

Denis