Re: "make check" may have trashed my system

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: "make check" may have trashed my system
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:33:57 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Paul J. Menchini" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:50:26 -0400 (EDT)

> I discovered that every non-directory file in
> / was gone; in particular, the symbolic links /bin, /lib, and /sys (in
> addition to /tmp and some local symbolic links) and the files /boot,
> /kadb and /vmunix (as well as some backup versions of /vmunix) were
> gone.  In addition, my bootblocks on / were trashed.

Wow, that's the worst autconf bug report I've ever seen.  How in the
world did "make check" trash the bootblocks?

I presume you were running the tests as root.  (If I'm wrong, then
there are other problems with your installation -- perhaps you should
run fsck.)

If you were running them as root, could you please try running the
tests as an ordinary user with no special privileges?  You should be
able to trace them (see trace(1), and use the -f option if I remember
correctly) and then find out which process is trying to unlink /bin
and friends.