RE: Autoconf 2.52 is released

From: Bernard Dautrevaux
Subject: RE: Autoconf 2.52 is released
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:00:06 +0200

I don't follow you here; currently (with 2.13) in such a case adding a
subdirectory
means adding in the base configure.in (or a file m4-sourced from it) an
incantation like:

        subdirs="$subdirs my-new-subdir"

With autoconf-2.5x it should simply be replaced by

        AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(my-new-subdir)

and that should "Just Work"... Or is there something I don't see?

> I am trying to work around this issue by implementing macros of my
> own to avoid using autoconf's AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS, but haven't got far
> yet due to personal time-constraints.

I don't think this is needed at all :-)

> > > A further problem is some of the new autoconf-features apparently
> > > being immature and autoconf-2.5x (in most cases actually m4 or sh)
> > > issuing cryptical error messages with encountering actual
> problems....
> > > I also have seen autoconf-2.5x silently swallow autoconf-2.13
> > > configure.ins without any complaint, while actually breaking them.
> >
> > Have you sent in bug reports for these?
> Not for all, but for some. The /lib/cpp issues, *_alias and
> help-string problems are a subset of these.
>
> However, from what I have seen, in most cases it's silently sharing
> config.caches across subdirectories with autoconf-2.13 which
> silently breaks if using autoconf-2.13 configure.ins with
> autoconf-2.52. In many cases, such packages' configury claims to
> continue being functional, while they actually get configured
> differently in subdirectories than before (*_cv_* not found -> apply
> default value instead of user-specified value).

I never seen that, even when mixing 2.13 and 2.5x genetared configures, but
I must confess that I'm using th econfig.cache only for what it's name said:
a cache and not a way to pass defaults from one configure to another.

> Fortunately, m4-quoting issues in most cases cause autoconf, m4, sh
> or other programs to choke, ie. these issues often are detected by
> brute-force :)

Unfortunately, this is not always the case; I've seen cases where the
configure script just fails (in some cases with the dreaded "Unexpected end
of file at configure:6543") or where it seems to complete correctly but does
not configure the package correctly... However I must confess that I have
these problems mainly with pre-2.50-released CVS autoconfs ;-(

Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes