Re: (wishlist) Automated lib-config script generation

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: (wishlist) Automated lib-config script generation
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 10:31:04 +0200

Roger Leigh wrote:

> I have attached a rewritten ac_path_generic.m4 (AM_PATH_LIB), as well
> as an updated AM_CONFIG_LIBCONFIG.  If they are OK, I'm willing to
> submit them to the archive.  Any comments appreciated.

Hi Roger,

it took me a bit to get time to have a look - AFAICS your macro approach
is actually a bit different - what I am a bit confused about is the
generation of a *-config.in file - does no autotool get confused in
the case that this file does not exists at tooling-time? Hmmm. And may
be that in this case the name of the macro is a bit misleading, may be
you'd add _IN to the name to make it more obvious.

The actual advantage of your macro comes of course with config.status
updates - I hope that I can at one day turn my macro into a form that
adds its -config file output-generation into config.status. IIRC the
new autoconf does support some helper routines for exactly that purpose.
But it seems I don't have much time before mid of august to actually
do it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see your macros to go to the ac-archive,
note that I'm co-maintainer if you want to update some macro later on.
(well, I have lately resurrected my private ac-archive.sf.net cvs that
 contains pre-published macros too, this way I have a bit more freedom
 to add extras and package things up other than the original tarball)

cheers,
-- guido                         Edel sei der Mensch, hilfreich und gut
31:GCS/E/S/P C++$++++ ULHS L++w- N++@  d(+-) s+a- h.r(*@)>+++ y++ 5++X-