m4_shift does not work

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: m4_shift does not work
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:59:53 +0100

In autoconf-2.13, shift was explicitly undefined in acgeneral.m4.
In 2.50 it seems to be renamed to m4_shift, and there is also
m4_shiftn in m4sh.m4.  However, I can't seem to be able to use
either of these macros myself:

AC_DEFUN([AC_CONFIG_LIBCONFIG_MODULES],
ifelse([$1], , ,
[AC_CONFIG_LIBCONFIG_MODULE([$1])
echo "1 = [$1]"
echo "2 = [$2]"
echo "3 = [$3]"
echo "@ = address@hidden"
echo "shift@ = m4_shift($@)"
dnl AC_CONFIG_LIBCONFIG_MODULES(m4_shift($@))
]))

If invoked with AC_CONFIG_LIBCONFIG_MODULES(test,foo,baz,bar), it
produces:

1 = test
2 = foo
3 = bar
@ = test,foo,bar,baz
shift@ =

m4_shift does not expand properly, but I'm sure I'm using it right.

Another issue I have encountered is that in 2.13, I used
AC_DIVERT_PUSH(AC_DIVERSION_NOTICE)dnl and
AC_DIVERT_POP()dnl
around code that I wanted before the AC_ARG_WITH and AC_ARG_ENABLE
macros, so I could use variables in the option descriptions (for
defaults).  Is it still possible to do this?  Simply replacing
AC_DIVERSION_NOTICE with '1' did not help.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh ** Registration Number: 151826, http://counter.li.org **