Re: AC_LIBTOOL_CXX

From: Ossama Othman
Subject: Re: AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:36:18 -0700

Hi Vasek,

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 07:02:57PM +0100, Vaclav Barta wrote:
> I really don't like conflating the C and C++ compilers - I guess
> practically every C++ compiler is also a C compiler, but it may
> very well require explicit switches to force the language (i.e.
> Visual C++ compiles *.C as C by default), and settings like
> CC="$CXX" will just confuse the hell of some poor maintainer
> trying to get ACE compiled on a new platform...

Right.  As I said, the code in question used to be required.  It is no
longer necessary with the new libtool, so this no longer an issue.

> I've been doing
> just that for the last couple of weeks (not using autoconf, though
> - "configure in ACE is still experimental") - it's not fun...

ACE is fairly easy to configure on supported platforms without the
configure script.  Are you porting ACE to another platform?

> I'm not saying it wasn't needed - I'm just saying it's a hack and
> a bug waiting to happen.

The code itself in the configure.in file in question states that it is
a hack:

dnl FIXME: Temporary hack to make libtool work with g++.
dnl        Shared library support will only work with GNU g++ and GNU ld
dnl        right now.
dnl save_CC="$CC"
dnl CC="$CXX"
[snip]
dnl Temporary hack until I get integrate libtool's new tag support
dnl into automake.
dnl This hack forces libtool to always use the C++ tag.
dnl LIBTOOL="$LIBTOOL --tag=CXX"

so there is no question that it is a hack.  The full text wasn't
posted earlier.  I'm not sure what the issue is here since this code
will be removed once the configure.in file switches over to autoconf
2.5x and libtool HEAD or 1.4b.

> Well, I won't upgrade until somebody complaints that they can't
> compile my program, *and* puts some work into testing my improvements.
> I'm not holding my breadth. :-)

Good luck.  :-)

-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <address@hidden>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Univ. of California at Irvine