Re: passing configure options via AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS

From: Paul Martinolich
Subject: Re: passing configure options via AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:44:00 -0500

Sorry, I was unclean.  I'll give it another shot.  I have this structure

  ../src
  ../pkgA
  ../pkgB

src contains my application.  Platform A does not provide the third party
pkgA which I need in the application, whereas Platform B does.  Ditto for
pkgB.  Some platforms provide it and others do not.

When src/configure is run on Platform A it will identify that pkgA is
unavailable, but recognizes that the source (../pkgA) exists and therefore will
schedule the configuration and compilation of pkgA using
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(pkgA).
Therefore in src directory, I run ./configure, followed by make --- all
works well.  On Platform A, pkgA is configured and compiled automatically.

Now, for Platform B, I need to add switches to the configure script when
pkgA is configured, say "--disable-shared --enable-static" or some
"--disable-xxx"
feature.  I don't want to run ./src/configure --disable-xxx as that is passed
down to each AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS, which may be appropriate for pkgA but not
for pkgB.  I would like the src/configure script to append these extra switches
to pkgA, but none or different ones to pkgB.

I looked through the info pages, but did not see any way to selectively
pass switches.  I was hoping someone had tried this before and could give
me some pointers on how to accomplish this.

Thanks.

Paul.

P.S.  The latest version of the manual is not available on the GNU manuals
page (http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html).