Re: RFI: Trailing blanks

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: RFI: Trailing blanks
Date: 17 Aug 2001 17:49:51 +0200

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

Paul> An EOL quadrigraph sounds better to me for this particular
Paul> problem.

Good, that's also the solution Raja likes most.

Paul> But surely it wouldn't merely be an EOL quadrigraph: it would be
Paul> a quadrigraph standing for the empty string.  So I suggest using
Paul> @""@ as the quadrigraph, and having it always expand to nothing.
Paul> This might be useful in places other than at end of line.

Good too.  Thanks for the quick responses.  And I do agree one such
quadrigraph is certainly extremely useful (yet to output quadrigraphs
for instance... @<@""@:@ => @<:@).

I have another question though.

I implemented a QnD --normalize in autom4te because it was too hot
trying to build M4's test suite without a quick solution to preserve
multiple empty lines.

This solution is very dirty, as it was very quick :)

Typically, one can observe that the Autotest snippet contain useless
multiple empty lines, which are to be killed, while those in the test
values have to be kept.

So I would like to remove that --normalize, completely replaced with
@""@.  Does it sound OK to everybody?