Re: bad autom4te call by autoconf ?

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: bad autom4te call by autoconf ?
Date: 27 Aug 2001 13:00:48 +0200

| Hello again!
| On 22 Aug 2001, Akim Demaille wrote:
| >| The installation is performed by:
| >|
| >| make install \
| >|  prefix=/home/cfd1/stow/autoconf-2.52b \
| >|  exec_prefix=/home/cfd1/alphaev67-dec-osf4.0f/stow/autoconf-2.52b
| >
| >Arg... That might be the problem.  And maybe not.
| >
| >Could I ask you to first perform an in-place build?  Then we'll se.
| >
| >Just a plain ./configure && make check.
|
| Well, I had to install, too, as autoconf will look for Autom4te/General.pm in
| /usr/local/share/autoconf in vain, otherwise. Therefore, I tried:

Hm, no it should not.

| configure --prefix=$HOME    # may not install in /usr/local ...
| make check                  # again, no testing performed
| make install
|
| But I still get the same output and error message as before (except for
| the paths, of course) for
|
| % $HOME/bin/autoconf -v
|
| I would be surprised, anyway, if the problem were dependent on the
installation
| and search paths, as the correct files are found - it rather seems to be a
| matter of the files' contents.

I just don't know, I'm trying to find the shortest path to finding the
bug.

| By the way, I use GNU m4 release 1.4 and perl 5.005_01 . The former was
| installed the same way as autoconf by myself, the latter by our sysadmin, so
| don't know about details of the perl installation parameters.
|
| Is there something else I could check for?

Could you try to run by hand the command that autoconf passed to
autom4te.  And if it failed again, please, send the version of Getopt
your perl is using.

% perl -e 'use Getopt::Long; print $Getopt::Long::VERSION, "\n";'
2.25