Re: Proposal to make better use of 5th arg to AC_CHECK_LIB and AC_SEARCH

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Proposal to make better use of 5th arg to AC_CHECK_LIB and AC_SEARCH_LIBS
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:47:24 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Rainer Orth <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 20:40:01 +0200 (MEST)
>
>       AC_CHECK_LIB(hesiod, hes_init,,, -lresolv)

How about using something like this instead?

AC_SEARCH_LIBS(hes_init, hesiod,,
  [AC_SEARCH_LIBS(hes_init, hesiod,,, -lresolv])])

> * It should first try to link *without* -lresolv and see if this succeeds.
>   If this works, all is fine and LIBS can be set to just -lhesiod as
>   before.

Wouldn't it be better to try to link without either -lresolv or
-lhesiod first?  After all, if hes_init is in the standard library,
you wouldn't want to bother with -lhesiod.  The AC_SEARCH_LIBS snippet
above does this.

> * If this first attempt fails, a second attempt should be made with *both*
>   -lhesiod and -lresolv on the link line.  If this succeeds, both -lhesiod
>   and -lresolv should be added to LIBS.

What if there were multiple -lxxx args, e.g.: AC_CHECK_LIB(hesiod,
hes_init,,, -lresolv -lsocket) Would you want it to try all
combinations ('', '-lresolv', '-lsocket', '-lresolve -lsocket')?
Seems like that would be a win in some cases.

My own impression is that there are a lot of possibilities here.  I
agree that AC_CHECK_LIB does not have good semantics.  However, I
think your proposal might be improved and/or generalized too.  If it's
an incompatible change, I'd rather see an improved/generalized
proposal now rather than install one incompatible change now, and
another one later.