mawk gawk nawk awk

From: Jens Petersen
Subject: mawk gawk nawk awk
Date: 05 Oct 2001 18:20:51 +0900

Hi,

I want to ask about the awk search order of autoconf.  It
seems that mawk is currently preferred, "since it's
generally faster".  However I understand the opinion is that
gawk is a better awk than mawk, so how about making that the
first choice.  In this day and age of very fast machines, I
think the quality of the awk implementation should be the
deciding factor, not its speed, assuming they don't vary by
orders of magnitude.

If people aren't against this change, I will gladly send in
a patch to this effect to autoconf-patches.

Cheers, Jens