Re: feature request: find the _smallest_ cpp (for run-time)

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: feature request: find the _smallest_ cpp (for run-time)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 14:28:18 +0200 (CEST)

Chris Waters writes:

> The autoconf issue comes up when choosing which cpp to use.
> Currently, autoconf seems to have a tropism for "gcc -E".  Which is
> fine for a preprocessor used at build-time, but is a bit excessive for
> a run-time dependency.

Autoconf macros detect build requirements only.  For run-time requirements
you should have a configuration file or something like that.  (Consider
binary packages.  Imagine the packager builds your package with the latest
and greatest /home/me/src/gcc-current/bin/gcc3.99.  100% of the users
would be screwed if you use Autoconf to record this as a run-time
setting.)

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter