Re: AC_LANG and _AC_LANG_ABBREV

From: Travis Shirk
Subject: Re: AC_LANG and _AC_LANG_ABBREV
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:52:36 -0700 (MST)

On 21 Jan 2002, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Travis> Actually, the call looks more like this:
>
> Travis> ifelse(AC_LANG,C,AC_REQUIRE([MY_PROG_CC]))
>
> Travis> MY_PROG_CC is a wrapper around AC_PROG_CC (the former calls
> Travis> the latter after doing a bunch of other stuff).  Where I use
> Travis> this is in another home grown macro which runs the compiler,
> Travis> but I want make sure that my custom C compiler macro is
> Travis> invoked before hand.
>
> Then you mean AC_LANG_COMPILER_REQUIRE.  undocumented, but ought to be
> what you need.  Some day, a brave soul should clean up this )*&$£ Autoconf.

Hmm, not sure what you mean by this.  I can't find this
macro definition in autoconf 2.13 or CVS.

Basically, all I need is a portable way (autoconf 2.13 and
autoconf >= 2.5) to determine what the current language is.
In 2.13, AC_LANG is set to "C" or "CXX".  But this variable
is no longer set in 2.5 and greater.  Instead, the macro
_AC_LANG_ABBREV is set.  What I need is a way to determine
the current language in both versions. I'd prefer not to
have to add AC_REQUIRE([2.52]) to my custom m4 macros.

Travis