Re: Migrating to autoconf 2.52g

From: John Poltorak
Subject: Re: Migrating to autoconf 2.52g
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:28:49 +0000

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:57:06AM +0100, Tim Van Holder wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 11:27, John Poltorak wrote:
> >
> > When running configure from autoconf 2.52g, the search for an install
> > program correctly locates c:/usr/bin/install.exe - (this is on OS/2), but
> > when trying to build an old app such as flex 2.5.4a it only finds
> > ./
> Yes, old autoconves were not very friendly to DOSish systems;
> AC_PROG_INSTALL is a typical example.
> > Do I need to run some conversion program first to update an old
> > file?
> autoconf 2.5x provides 'autoupdate', which will try to do just that.

Does autoupdate create a new

I did manage to build FLEX with autoconf 2.52 by adding the following two
lines to the original

When running autoupdate I get:-

+ autoupdate
autom4te.: no such file or directory: /dev/null
autoupdate.: cannot close autom4te ...

Also I notice a directory called:-

in the working directory. Is this name correct? - It looks wrong...#

It contains the files:-

> Be warned though that many applications used configure.ins that relied
> on undocumented and unsupported autoconf internals; those will often
> break with autoconf 2.5x, and may require non-trivial rewriting.
> Basically, when confronted with an outdated, back up the
> configure script and run a recent autoconf/autoheader (possibly in
> tandem with a recent aclocal & automake).
> If autoconf does not complain, things will probably be ok.
> If it complains, try running autoupdate, and then autoconf again.

Can a test to see if these functions need to be run be incorporated into
autoconf itself so that they are run automatically when necessary?