Re: Severe performance problem and proposed solution

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: Severe performance problem and proposed solution
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:37:08 -0800

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 12:44:32PM +0100, Akim Demaille wrote:

> But that's a tricky road.  First, we need evidence that the recent
> re-execing is not enough.  Thanks!

According to David Edelsohn <address@hidden>, AIX's /bin/sh and
/bin/ksh support $LINENO but have the same performance problem with
here documents.  That means the _test_ as implemented is not good
enough.  It may be possible to detect the problem and add a check for
it to the probe logic, but I can't reproduce the problem on any system
I have access to, so I can't write that check.

zw