Re: AC_TRY_RUN and cross-compiling

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: AC_TRY_RUN and cross-compiling
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 10:38:00 -0800

Paul Eggert wrote:

> > From: Dan Kegel <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 10:02:14 -0800
> >
> > configure should have an option,
> > --emit-try-run, which would generate and compile a C program
> > which, when compiled and run, would output environment
> > settings which could be used in future configure
> > runs to suppress AC_TRY_RUN's.
>
> Something like that might be nice, but it'd be a bit of work to
> implement.  Among other things, you'd need the ability to do later
> tests that depend on the results of earlier tests, which means you
> need multiple round-trips to the target.
>
> Instead of doing it by hand, though, why not define a procedure that
> runs the executable on the target, using ssh (or whatever method you
> like) from the build host?  That would avoid the need to transfer the
> executables and results by hand.

That would make it much more likely that old configure.in
scripts would Just Work, which is a good thing.
Maybe configure would take a '--host-run-cmd' option which
would tell it how to run executables during TRY_RUN for
cross-compilation.

This won't always work- sometimes there's just no way to
run code on the embedded system- but hey, it'd work for me.

- Dan