Re: configure providing function (Was: Severe performance problem and pr

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: configure providing function (Was: Severe performance problem and proposed solution)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:28:57 -0800 (PST)

> From: Akim Demaille <address@hidden>
> Date: 18 Mar 2002 10:22:51 +0100

> | How about this idea instead.  Let the configure script contain code
> | that looks like this:
> |
> |   ln -s from to
> |   echo "Hello world"
> |
> | in both cases assuming the POSIX.1-2001 semantics.
>
> This does not meet the users' expectations.  They don't want satellite
> tools.

It wouldn't require satellite tools.  All you'd need to do is to
create a config.bin directory that would be cleaned up like all the
other config temporaries.  Any workaround scripts would be put into
config.bin, and config.bin would be prepended to the PATH.  Normal
cleanup should remove config.bin, just as it removes other
temporaries.

> In addition, in the general case, I'm interested in having self
> contained scripts.  Don't forget behind the scene there is M4sh.

Don't all these scripts need to create temporaries?  If so, I don't
see the downside of having a config.bin directory.