Re: doc about VPATH limitation on SunOS

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: doc about VPATH limitation on SunOS
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:32:50 -0500

    |         * acgeneral.m4 (AC_OUTPUT): Remove VPATH lines if srcdir=., to
    |         work around Sun make bug.  From Karl Berry.

    Does it still applies ?  How can I reproduce this ?
    I'd like to upgrade this section with other VPATH limitations
    but I do not understand this one.

All the details have clearly escaped my mind in the intervening 8 years
:), but going purely from those comments it seemed any VPATH assignment
caused :: rules to break.  Thus

VPATH=.
foo::
        @echo foo1
foo::
        @echo foo2

would only echo foo1.

Anyway, I would guess this must have been about SunOS 4, as Solaris 2
barely existed in 1994.

And anyway again, I still see no harm in removing VPATH lines if
srcdir=., for simplicity.

Hope this helps,
karl