Re: RFC: ./configure or ./config.status --clean

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: RFC: ./configure or ./config.status --clean
Date: 03 Apr 2002 10:35:57 +0200

Peter> Akim Demaille writes:
>> In fact, I think all the tools should provide some --clean.  For
>> instance, the hair we have to clean the Texinfo related files have
>> nothing to do in Automake.  It should be provided by texi2dvi and
>> the like.

Peter> But where does it stop?  gcc --clean?  ld --clean?  touch
Peter> --clean?

As long as these tools create standard output, it is unneeded.  But
cc --clean would be cool for some compilers.  Have a look at the
exceptions coded into Autoconf:

[for ac_file in `(ls conftest.o conftest.obj; ls conftest.*) 2>/dev/null`; do
  case $ac_file in
    *.$ac_ext | *.xcoff | *.tds | *.d | *.pdb ) ;;
    *) ac_cv_objext=`expr "$ac_file" : '.*\.\(.*\)'`
       break;;
  esac
done],

Things like .xcoff etc. are not common, and as such, they are a
problems for tools such as Automake.  So yes, you may find this funny,
but I'd be happy to have a cc --clean.  Call it modular shell
scripting.

In the case of texi2dvi, I personally find that there is no doubt:
automake should not learn to parse Texinfo files.  Yet, there are
sometimes *new* files from one release to another, such as *.tmp.
Remember the mess of the distcheck that fails?