Re: Site Macro Directory

From: Sam Clegg
Subject: Re: Site Macro Directory
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:22:20 +0100

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 11:03:18PM -0500, Mark D. Roth wrote:
> On Wed May 15 17:21 2002 -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > I use Automake's "aclocal" for this.  It generates aclocal.m4
> > automatically from m4/*.m4.  In my case, the m4/*.m4 files are often
> > links to the "canonical" versions.
>
> Unfortunately, that won't work for me, since I use autoconf but not
> automake.  Also, if I understand you correctly, this solves the

I think you may be right, aclocal belongs with autoconf rather than
audomake, but ATM this is just the way it is.
Just apt-get install autoamake.  It doesn't mean you to automakize
your projects.

> > I think "aclocal" pretty much does what you want.
> > E.g., "aclocal --print-ac-dir", and "aclocal -I DIR".
>
> It doesn't really make sense to me that I should need to install a
> seperate package just to be able to use a set of macros that are
> maintained seperately.  If it's autoconf's job to use these macros to
> generate configure, shouldn't it provide a central place to install
> them?

/usr/share/aclocal/ is the system wide place.  Projects usually use
-I macros for their private ones.

sam
--
sam clegg