Re: A question about autoconf.

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: A question about autoconf.
Date: 24 May 2002 09:23:13 +0200

>>>>> "George" == George R Goffe <address@hidden> writes:

George> Howdy (bonjour),

Hi,

Please, always write to project lists, not people.

George> I'm continually having problems building code that uses
George> autoconf (configure) and I was wondering if my idea to resolve
George> this would work and be accepted by the "world".

George> I build versioned code based on the os level (i.e.,
George> /usr/lsd/SunOS.5.8).  Currently I'm supporting several solaris
George> versions but I have also done this for linux and IRIX. The
George> problem I have is that I try to build software and would like
George> very much to get the configure script to look always in the
George> --prefix= location first for the tools/utilities that it uses
George> or maybe I could provide configure with a specific set of
George> search locations in a file (?) I may have other versions of
George> these "things" on my system and would like to be able to use
George> the ones I want to use.

prefix is really a different beast.  You should browse the Autoconf
documentation and look for config.site, and set the proper variables
there if you want to avoid specify CFLAGS, LDFLAGS etc. each time.

George> Right now, I have a binutils distribution in my /usr/local
George> which breaks other software that I use or build. What I have
George> to do is rename the /usr/local directory before building/using
George> the software. To say the least, this is rather inelegant.