Re: config.site overrides commandline

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: config.site overrides commandline
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 18:02:49 +0200

> I did a simple test to see how config.site parameters are handled.
> The test shows that parameters set in config.site override parameters
> set as configure options.  The CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS options from
> config.site were used rather than options provided via configure's
> command line.
>
> It seems to me that command-line provided parameters should override
> those obtained from config.site.
>
> Bob

Sounds perfectly reasonable.  config.site is also loaded to late
to override some startup tests.
There is, however, a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem there.
config.site is loaded from $prefix by default, but that can be given
on the command-line.  So to have optimal behaviour, we'd need to

 1) check the command-line for --prefix
 2) load config.site
 3) check the rest of the command line