Re: cache directory is not removed

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: cache directory is not removed
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:09:27 -0400

Sam Steingold wrote:
not at all.  this is a common case of "developer's egotism":
autoconf _users_ run _autoconf_ rarely, so they do not care about its
speed (but they do care about the junk it leaves behind!), but they run
_configure_ (relatively) often, so they do care about its speed and
they appreciate the speedup they get from config.cache.

I agree absolutely with the principle, but I think you've been hoist by your own petard, here. :-)

As, I said in another post, the people whom configure is for are the *end users*. They typically run configure only once per machine (and so get no benefit from config.cache), but are flummoxed by stale config.cache files (most commonly if they copy the whole directory to another machine, or share it via NFS, or need to reinstall after a system reconfiguration).

Steven