Re: cache directory is not removed

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: cache directory is not removed
Date: 07 Jun 2002 11:43:36 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: cache directory is not removed"
> * Sent on 07 Jun 2002 17:06:04 +0200

> Sam> nope.  when I distribute CLISP, I cannot assume that my users
> Sam> have autoconf, so I distribute the generated configure scripts
> Sam> too.  i.e., the configure scripts are in the source tree and are
> Sam> regenerated just before a release.  thus, if I use autoconf 2.53,
> Sam> I have to remove the cache directories by hand before a release,
> Sam> so that they do not end up in the distribution file.
>
> But how do you write you dist target?  How come it ends in the
> tarball!?!

pretty much `tar cz dist.tgz src/`
(with some bells and whistles).
now I will need to exclude the cache directory name, which includes
the autoconf version number, i.e., I will have to change my `make dist`
after every autoconf release.

> Sam> this is a major inconvenience.
>
> Sam> adding a --remove-cache option
>
> To who?  Automake + autoconf + autoheader + autoscan + autoreconf +
> autom4te + autoupdate ?

to me (and others who agreed with me on this thread) who use only
autoconf and none of the other tools.

> Sam> (or --no-cache - for not creating the cache in the first place)
> Sam> is not too much work, and I can submit the patch if you wish.
>
> It is much work.  For a start, if you remove the cache, there is no
> longer autoheader.  Or autoheader first write the cache, then reads
> it, and finally removes it?

sure, is it does not find the cache, it will have to first run the
script which creates it.

> Sam> please note, that I am not your only user who is unhappy with the
> Sam> cache directory.
>
> This is because we created it *before* you can notice how useful it
> is.  Had we made it backwards, we'd be drown under complaints.

I trust you completely - it is probably extremely nice to have.

Now it creates certain inconveniences too.
Please accomodate those of us who never experience its convenience but
have to live with its inconveniences.

Namely, think of those of us who do not want this ditectory to exists
for more that it takes autoconf et al to complete.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>