Re: cache directory is not removed

From: Bill Wendling
Subject: Re: cache directory is not removed
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 02:15:04 -0500

Also sprach Ralf Corsepius:
} Am Fre, 2002-06-07 um 20.24 schrieb Bill Wendling:
} > Also sprach Ralf Corsepius:
} > } Am Fre, 2002-06-07 um 17.23 schrieb Sam Liddicott:
} > } >
} > } > I think this is a relavent question; you need to tweak your config
files to
} > } > stop this from being included in the make dist tar ball.
} > } If using automake, "make dist" does not put autom4te.caches into the
} > } tarball.
} > }
} > Not all of us use automake but do use autoconf/autoheader.
} Of cause, but ...
}
} * packaging is not autoconf's job. Using automake is one option to ease
} this situation and assist for these purposes.
} It might sound trivial, but if not using such tools, you're essentially
} on your own ;)
}
} * You can't expect not having to change your custom-procedures (eg.
} cut release tarball-scripts) if switching to a different
} version of a tool, in general.
}
} Or to rephrase it: Yes, autoconf >= 2.53 is incompatible to its
} predecessors wrt. the topic discussed herein.
}
I found that out :-).

However, autoconf can be used autonomously from automake and the others,
which I think is my point. While some tweaking is necessary, it shouldn't
be too involved (otherwise, people would have a hard time being convinced
to upgrade. You'd have to force them to upgrade at that point. See
Microsoft, et al for examples of this). Perhaps some kind of
porting-to-new-version FAQ or HOW-TO is in order?

But this is a separate issue, really.