Forcing --enable-foo in sub-configures

From: John D. Burger
Subject: Forcing --enable-foo in sub-configures
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:39:45 -0400

Hello -

I have a question about sub-configuration and --enable switches.  I
would like a particular --enable switch to always be passed to the
recursive configure scripts just like "precious" variables are.

I don't really want the main package's configure to even take the switch
(--enable-catalyst), since the capability in question can't be turned
off in the main package.  When the sub-packages are built as part of
this particular main package, however, they need to be configured with
--enable-catalyst=yes.

So, I would like to arrange for the sub-configurations to always happen
with --enable-catalyst=yes.  I thought perhaps I could add this to
ac_sub_configure_args or even ac_configure_args, but, examining the
generated configure script, it doesn't look like there's a good place to
do that.

The reason I mention precious arguments above is that I hoped --enable
switches would work the same way.  I would be willing to have the main
configure script take the switch, defaulting to "yes", if that would
ensure it being passed to the subsidiary configures, but no joy.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

- John Burger                                  The MITRE Corporation

  Please avoid sending me unnecessary Word or PowerPoint attachments.