AC_PATH_PROG doesn't search additional paths

From: Vance Shipley
Subject: AC_PATH_PROG doesn't search additional paths
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:11:53 -0400

Am I missing something here?

I can't get AC_PROG_PATH to work the way it is documented.
I am using the example from the documentation:

     AC_PATH_PROG(INETD, inetd, /usr/libexec/inetd,
               $PATH:/usr/libexec:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc:etc)

The path to search for the program should be my PATH followed
by the additional directories shouldn't it?  In that order?

The inetd program lives in /usr/sbin:

     bash-2.03$ ls -l /usr/sbin/inetd
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin        36104 Jun 27  2001 /usr/sbin/inetd

My PATH doesn't include /usr/sbin:

     bash-2.03$ echo $PATH
     /export/home/vances/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

When I run configure it returns the default I specified, even
though it doesn't exist.  It doesn't find it in the additional
path where it actually is.

     bash-2.03$ ./configure
     checking for inetd... /usr/libexec/inetd

If I add /usr/sbin to my PATH it finds it:

     bash-2.03$ ./configure
     checking for inetd... /usr/sbin/inetd

[Maybe this is related to my problems with autoreconfig]

GNU Autoconf 2.53
SunOS dhcppc4 5.8 Generic_108528-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

        -Vance