Re: converting netkit to autoconf?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: converting netkit to autoconf?
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:07:33 -0700

Akim Demaille wrote:

> Paul> No, performance is by bigger problem for me, and I think for
> Paul> most people.  I have lots of disk space, and "configure" scripts
> Paul> compress well.  But my uniprocessors go only so fast, and
> Paul> currently "configure" scripts are sequential.  Right now, it
> Paul> sometimes takes longer to for me to configure a package than to
> Paul> compile it, and this is ridiculous.
>
> I second this :(  I'm not sure how we can fix this problem though :(

By separating autoconf into two pieces.  One, a package by itself
that needs to be installed before an autoconf-ed package gets installed
and then the new-autoconf package that first checks that its other
half has already been installed.  The first half does system config
checks and installs hackaround libraries and other odds and ends,
the second half uses that information and handles project configuration
options.  You'd have to bump the major release number.