Re: defined(IRIX)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: defined(IRIX)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:03:51 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Bill Moseley <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 06:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
>
> We have a memory manager that aligns reads on sizeof(long), but that
> causes sigbus on some platforms when sizeof(long) == 4 but we need 8 byte
> alignment.

For native builds, there's a simple way to attack this problem.  Run
a little test program with AC_TRY_RUN and see whether it dumps core.
Perhaps that is what the Postgres configure does.

For cross-builds, currently we don't have a good hook for running
programs remotely.  The simplest workaround is to use an alignment of
8; that should work on all platforms that I know of.  You can use the
output of 'config.guess' and guess from that, if you really care about
wasting a few bytes in cross-builds.