Re: autoreconf gets autopoint order wrong?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: autoreconf gets autopoint order wrong?
Date: 04 Oct 2002 14:46:16 -0400

%% Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

  ad> aclocal is to be run twice: one first time to make sure all the
  ad> macros that might be used are imported, so that, for instance, if
  ad> you use PDS_USUAL_STUFF which includes an invocation of
  ad> AM_GNU_GETTEXT, or AC_PROG_LIBTOOL etc. be found.

But that doesn't help if the _first_ aclocal fails and exits (causing
autoreconf to quit) before it runs autopoint (which is what happens).

  ad> The second run is to make sure that if new macros very imported,
  ad> then we proceed with the right aclocal.m4.  All this is written in
  ad> the code.

OK, but it never gets that far.

  | So, for now autoreconf is not helpful to me.  I wonder if the order in
  | which these things are done could be changed so autopoint is done first
  | rather than second?

  ad> The problem is that we are using recipees that different from tool
  ad> to tool.  Since autopoint still just greps configure.ac to see if
  ad> AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION is used, autoreconf can do the same.  So I
  ad> would suggest having autoreconf to grep AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
  ad> configure.ac after the first aclocal run.

I don't see how this will help; maybe I'm misunderstanding your
suggestion.

The first aclocal fails due to missing macros, and so autoreconf fails.
Are you saying autoreconf should look at why aclocal failed, and not
exit itself if the error was due to AM_GNU_GETTEXT* macros?

While that would work, I guess, there would still be errors printed,
which would be disconcerting.

I don't understand why you don't want to simply run autopoint before the
first aclocal--is there some reason that this won't work or is a bad
idea?

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools