Re: functions in different libraries on different OSes.

From: Stewart Brodie
Subject: Re: functions in different libraries on different OSes.
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:12:25 +0100

In message <address@hidden>
          Russ Allbery <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dan Kegel <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Standard practice is probably to always write
>
> > #if HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
> > #include <sys/types.h>
> > #endif
>
> There's no need to check for the existance of <sys/types.h> unless you're
> attempting portability far beyond that any normal software package will
> need.  It exists on pretty much any modern platform and nearly all
> obsolete ones.

I still tend to check for it on the basis that I check all other header
files, so I might as well check that one.  There are systems that do not have
sys/types.h.  That way, all header file checks are done the same way.  That
also means that I always check for stdio.h too, which is contrary to the
recommendations, but makes all the header checks the same.

--
Stewart Brodie, Senior Software Engineer   Cambridge CVS administration team
Pace Micro Technology PLC