Re: Fortran 9x: time for a decision

From: Kate Hedstrom
Subject: Re: Fortran 9x: time for a decision
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:13:20 -0900

> Just require a four-digit date and be done with it.

I agree.

> True.  But what if someone comes up with a Fortran++?

They have - it is called Fortran 2000 and includes exceptions and
inheritance.

> > [FXX] works as a prefix for FLAGS, etcetera, unlike FC which doesn't
> > (FCFLAGS would break the analogy with CC/CFLAGS).
>
> Using whole names whenever possible has the advantage that it
> doesn't take up more room in the single-character-prefix
> namespace.  Indeed, the manual for GNU make recommends:

I can live with FORTRAN and FORTRANFLAGS with F77 and F77FLAGS for the
moldy Fortran. In fact I don't really care what they are as long as
autoconf doesn't give the appearance of having frozen Fortran support
back in 1977. I would imagine that the people who refuse to update their
Fortran to compile under f90 are the ones who will never take up
autotools anyway.

Kate
--
Kate Hedström       Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
address@hidden       University of Alaska, Fairbanks