Re: Fortran 9x: time for a decision

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Fortran 9x: time for a decision
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:17:07 -0800 (PST)

> From: "Steven G. Johnson" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:15:17 -0500
>
> I don't have any particular attachment to FXX.  However, I agree with
> John Eaton that FFLAGS is best left as the flags for F77 for backwards
> compatibility reasons.

It sounds like there is no perfect solution here, but I think it'd be
better to be consistent with GNU make.

The GNU Make convention is that FC and FFLAGS are a pair, and F77 and
F77FLAGS are a pair.  By default they have the same meaning, since the
default value of F77 is "$(FC)", and the default value of F77FLAGS is
"$(FFLAGS)".  The default value of FFLAGS is empty; the default value
of FC is "fortran" on VMS, "cf77" on Cray, "xlf" on _IBMR2, "fc" on
Convex, and "f77" otherwise.

Perhaps these conventions are wrong or outdated, but if we use
different conventions in Autoconf we should endeavor to have those
conventions installed into GNU Make too.

> Perhaps you'll be happier if it's not presented as an arbitrary year
> (which is not needed), but rather as a canonical version string:

That sounds good to me.