dynamic variable names and AC_PATH_PROG

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: dynamic variable names and AC_PATH_PROG
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 12:10:23 -0500

hi there,

I'm writing a m4 test that calls AC_PATH_PROG.
My test takes an argument that is a package name.
This name is not a valid shell variable name, so I have
to calculate a variable name. autoconf generates a variable
'as_tr_sh' which is used for similar purposes, but I'm not
sure it is 'official'. Can I rely on its existence and use it ?

Next, I'v trouble calling AC_PATH_PROG, since it takes
a variable name and a program name argument. I'd like to
pass my computed variable name as first argument, but that
doesn't seem to work. Is there a constraint when using AC_PATH_PROG
that I have to use a variable name that is known at 'compile time' ?

Any help is highly apreciated !

Stefan