Re: Autoconf and nested projects

From: Pierre Mazi?re
Subject: Re: Autoconf and nested projects
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 19:18:27 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Guido Draheim wrote:

I forgot to say taht this is my first attempt to use autotools so forgive
me if i misunderstand some of your answers ( without talking of my bad
english :))

> Even without real experience, I'd like to point you to the following:
> (1) AC_DISABLE_SHARED ... make the disable-shared the default, that
>      might go per-sub-configure

i knew this one,  but how do you pass it to the library ./configure
without modifying the library ./configure.in and re-bootstraping the
whole ?

> (2) without modifications? errrrm, not quite. Again, cut it out of
>      SUBDIRs and bind that one manually without install being up, otherwise
>      change that ones automake file to noinst_LTLIBRARIES

that would be simpler, but much less nice :)

> Does that solve your problem?

it could, if no other solutions are possible: i really would like to use
this library as it because it will allow library upgrade without having to
modify it for each new version