Re: checking if CC supports weak symbols

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: checking if CC supports weak symbols
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:15:37 -0600

Hi,

Peter Eisentraut <address@hidden> writes:

> Ralf Corsepius writes:
>
>> More precisely, I am trying to detect whether a c-compiler supports
>> gcc's "function __attribute__((weak))" syntax or not.
>
> Is there any reason to think that compilers other than GCC support this
> syntax?

I'm not Ralf, but I can see two different reasons:

  * not all versions may support the "weak" attribute

  * The Intel C compiler for Linux is supposed to be able to compile
    the Linux kernel.  New versions the Linux kernel do use weak
    symbols (possibly with this syntax) -- so maybe the Intel
    compiler would too.

The second is somewhat far-fetched.  Support for #pragma weak ... and
_Pragma("weak", ...) is likelier.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden