Re: long long int autoconf macro

From: Philip Willoughby
Subject: Re: long long int autoconf macro
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 16:24:57 +0100 (BST)

Today, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

>Hi
>
>I started to use your autoconf macro (from
>http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/htmldoc/ac_c_long_long.html) for
>long long int.  I was wondering if "long long" is the same of "long long
>int".  I'm asking this because it looks that on some systems (as
>reported by some user of the program I maintain, GNU gengetopt) the
>macro succeeds but then the compiler complains about my use of "long
>long" variables.

'long long' is not a standardised type qualifier.  For all standard type
qualifiers ('long' 'signed' 'unsigned' 'short') it is permissible to omit
the int keyword, but all bets are off for 'long long'.  Having said that
GCC 2.95.x and 3.x.x, and icc 7.x.x have no problem with 'unsigned long
long' as a type - which compiler are you using?

GCC will probably barf if you set it to a standards compliant mode...

Have you considered using the <stdint.h> types uint64_t and int64_t as
appropriate instead?

Regards,

Philip Willoughby

Systems Programmer, Department of Computing, Imperial College, London, UK
--
echo address@hidden | tr "bizndfohces" "pwgd9ociaku"

Why reinvent the wheel? . . . . . . . . . Because we can make it rounder...