Re: [RFC] Short- and medium-term proposal for AC_CHECK_* overhauling

From: Bonzini
Subject: Re: [RFC] Short- and medium-term proposal for AC_CHECK_* overhauling
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 17:18:41 +0200

> >     _ac_check_func 'strerror'
> >     if test $ac_cv_func_strerror = yes; then
>
> Nice.  How about this instead? it's even clearer:
>
>       if ac_check_func strerror; then

I thought that this could give some portability headaches, plus the other
solution would fit better with the specialization concept (since in both
cases you end up with the cache variable).

> AC_USE_SHELL_FUNCTIONS(arg)
>
> If the argument is 1, use shell functions; if 0, don't use them.  The
> default is 0 at first, but we'll change the default to 1 eventually.

I'll probably have to refine my m4 skills for this, but yes, it is possible of
course.

> > If parenthesized lists were ever to be made the only possibility,
>
> My own feeling is that it's too soon to require parenthesized lists.
> Users already have too many compatibility issues already.

That's why I wrote "were *ever* to be made the only possibility".

I don't think that's going to be done in less than... hmmm... two years.

Paolo