Re: [RFC] Short- and medium-term proposal for AC_CHECK_* overhauling

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [RFC] Short- and medium-term proposal for AC_CHECK_* overhauling
Date: 01 May 2003 11:03:53 -0700

"Bonzini" <address@hidden> writes:

> >       if ac_check_func strerror; then
>
> I thought that this could give some portability headaches,

What sort of headaches did you have in mind?  (Other than the ones
you're already getting by having shell functions.  :-)

> plus the other solution would fit better with the specialization
> concept (since in both cases you end up with the cache variable).

I thought the shell function would inspect the cache variable, and
would set it if it isn't already set.  The only difference is that
under my proposal the function would also return a value that depends
on the final setting of the cache variable.  So it should be the same
either way, as far as the specialization concept is concerned; it's
only a calling convention.