How to make autoconf search on a given path

From: Jose Roman Bilbao
Subject: How to make autoconf search on a given path
Date: 09 May 2003 15:21:14 +0200

Hi,

I want to build an application which needs vtk library. I have this
library installed in /usr/local/lib/vtk which I know is not the standard
path where autoconf will look for libs.

I know I can do it like this:

LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib/vtk ./configure

but I think this is not the most confortable way for the user to do it.
Do you know how can I do something like:

dnl allow the user to specify a directory for extra header files
AC_ARG_WITH(vtk-libdir,
        [--with-vtk-libdir=DIR    where the extra includes are located
],
    vtk-libdir="$withval"
)
dnl write a message to indicate we're looking for the argument, and
dnl print out the result.
AC_MSG_CHECKING("VTK library dir")
AC_MSG_RESULT($withval)

LDFLAGS=$LDFLAGS $withval