Re: Expressions evaluation order using AC_PROG_CXX and AC_PROG_CC?

From: Assar Westerlund
Subject: Re: Expressions evaluation order using AC_PROG_CXX and AC_PROG_CC?
Date: 28 May 2003 19:58:24 -0400

David Svoboda <address@hidden> writes:
> In the lines 57-77 the choice of compiler, the user wants to use, is done.
> When the ./configure (generated from this file) is executed without any
> parameters, "config.log" is full of errors about corrent compiler setting.
> When these lines (57-77) are deleted, everythig is OK. Why? What happens
> with the compiler setting, when using AC_PROG_CXX, AC_PROG_CC macros in
> different places of the "configure.in" file?

You cannot have several calls to AC_PROG_CC under different
conditionals in your configure.in.

The interface to your configure is also not really in the
autoconf-style.  Instead of --enable-kai-compiler et al, the autoconf
way of doing it would be to run:

env CXX=KCC configure
env CXX=xcxx configure and so on to specify what comiler is to be
used.

So I would do something similar to this:

AC_PROG_CXX(KCC cxx g++ c++)

case "$CXX" in
KCC)
  CC="$CXX --c"
  CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS --one_instantiation_per_object --restrict --thread_safe"
  ;;
cxx)
  CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS __USE_STD_IOSTREAM"
  ;;
esac

Or if you prefer, you should be able to set a list of all the
compilers to test for in a shell variable and then call AC_PROG_CXX.

cxx_compilers="g++ c++"

if ...
  cxx_compilers="KCC $cxx_compilers"
fi