Re: Get rid of `-g' in CXXFLAGS

From: Richard Bos
Subject: Re: Get rid of `-g' in CXXFLAGS
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 07:46:30 +0200

Op vrijdag 1 augustus 2003 21:38, schreef Frank A. Uepping:
> Unfortuantely AC_PROG_CXX includes the `-g' option in CXXFLAGS,
> with what I am not happy with.
> How can I get rid of the `-g' flag in a way that doesn't *clobber* a user
> supplied CXXFLAGS?
> (However, I assume resetting CXXFLAGS entirely is not wise, isn't it?)
> Is there any AC_ switch for it, or do I have to hack some shell code around
> AC_PROG_CXX?
>
> /FAU

It seems defined in /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/c.m4

where you have:
CXXFLAGS="-g"
AC_CACHE_CHECK(whether $CXX accepts -g, ac_cv_prog_cxx_g,
               [_AC_COMPILE_IFELSE([AC_LANG_PROGRAM()],
                                   [ac_cv_prog_cxx_g=yes],
                                   [ac_cv_prog_cxx_g=no])])
if test "$ac_test_CXXFLAGS" = set; then
  CXXFLAGS=$ac_save_CXXFLAGS
elif test $ac_cv_prog_cxx_g = yes; then
  if test "$GXX" = yes; then
    CXXFLAGS="-g -O2"
  else
    CXXFLAGS="-g"
  fi
fi[]dnl

I would expect no "-g" by default as well, and to be able to tell configure
use "-g" with e.g. an argument "enable-debug".

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless