RE: How many packages use autotools?

From: Daniel Reed
Subject: RE: How many packages use autotools?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:17:23 -0400 (EDT)

On 2003-09-25T23:32-0500, Joseph D. Wagner wrote:
) > I use Autotools only on *NIX, I would expect that the view is different
) > when you look through the Windows.
) Nobody uses autoconf on Windows.  On Windows, people use Microsoft
) Installer or InstallShield.  Autoconf is exclusively for UNIX variants
) (Linux, *BSD, Solaris, SCO UNIX, AIX, etc.)

Pretty wild statement, especially considering the existance of the Cygwin
Net Release. As far as I am aware, all packages contained in it are built
using an autoconf-based ./configure script. Check out http://cygwin.com/.
They use their own customized install agent (http://cygwin.com/setup.exe)
for binary releases, which are downloaded as Slackware-style tarballs, and
standard source tarballs that are patched when need be for source installs.

--
Daniel Reed <address@hidden>    http://naim-users.org/nmlorg/
http://naim.n.ml.org/