libtool

From: Davy Durham
Subject: libtool
Date: 05 Nov 2003 15:51:15 -0600

Hi,
  I'm using AC_PROG_LIBTOOL at the top of my configure.ac script to
indicate that I want libtool to be used for the
preprocessor/compiler/linker.  However, one of my dependencies (libFOX)
requires linking against several other libraries.

   At make-time it links fine because libtool reads the libFOX.la file
and adds FOX's dependencies.  However, in my configure.ac script when
I'm testing for FOX my little test source can't link on all platforms
because autoconf's AC_LINK_IFELSE doesn't use libtool to link.  [As you
know, some platforms aren't lazy about linking in dependencies]

   Would it not be better for all the autoconf macros that preprocess,
compile, or link files to use the generated libtool if AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
was previously invoked, or have some other macro that enables this
behavior?  [Currently, I'm using a kludge that modifies $ac_link just
before I call AC_LINK_IFELSE then I restore the original $ac_link value]

Thanks,
  Davy