What is going on with releases, mailing lists?

From: Pavel Roskin
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:47:02 -0500 (EST)

Hello!

I've seen an announcement in address@hidden that Automake
1.7.9 has been released with Autoconf 2.59.  I thought it was a typo
because Autoconf 2.59 has never been announced in the same list.

Indeed, I checked NEW in CVS Autoconf, it mentions the 2.59 release on the
same day as Autoconf 2.58 - November 4, 2003.

However, ftp.gnu.org has only version 2.58.  Debian unstable also uses
version 2.58.  I decided to check the mailing list.  (I'm very sorry, but
I had to disable mailing list traffic for some mailing lists I was
subscribed to, including autoconf lists, because I could not participate
in too many projects in the same time.)

I don't normally trust gnu.org pages full of outdated "invariant
sections", but the project page on savannah.gnu.org
<https://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=autoconf> points to the same list
archives:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/

What I see is that half of traffic is spam and that neither Autoconf 2.58
nor Autoconf 2.59 have been announced there.  However, the Autoconf 2.58
announcement is in the autoconf-maintainers archives.

What happened to the project and to the mailing lists?

I'm ready to become a moderator of the autoconf list.  It appears that the
traffic is not very heavy.  Besides, I have a Spamcop subscription, so I
can reroute spam to my account and report it.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin