Re: [patch] Keep executability of config.status-ed files

From: Jan Kratochvil
Subject: Re: [patch] Keep executability of config.status-ed files
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:40:06 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:27:49 +0100, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> > As the possible 'keep executable' feature would be dependent upon by the
> > package there is no way to make it optional according to the host platform.
>
> What I meant was that if 'ls -ld' behaves "correctly" on the platform on
> which the configure script is running (the configure script can make
> this determination), then is would be okay to enable code in the
> configure script which relies upon ls's behavior.

If 'configure' detects 'ls' behaves "incorrectly" it has no chance how to
detect which files should be config.status-ed with 'chmod +x' executability.
It may just 'chmod +x' them all in such case otherwise the build may fail.
Build may depend on the executability of config.status-ed build scripts.

If 'chmod +x' of all config.status-ed files is acceptable fallback I am going
to supply 'ls'-checking 'executability' patch.

Regards,
Lace