Re: Library that needs large file support

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Library that needs large file support
Date: 20 Dec 2003 15:03:31 -0800

Florian Weimer <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm writing a library that will require large-file support on 32-bit GNU
> platforms (so that off_t and ino_t are 64 bits wide, otherwise data
> structure layout would change).  What is the canonical way to enforce
> this?

AC_SYS_LARGEFILE

> I guess it's not a good idea to force applications to include the
> config.h file that was generated at library build time.

You can copy just the config.h bits that you need (_FILE_OFFSET_BITS,
_LARGE_FILES) out of your config.h, and put them in a place
("FOOlib-config.h", say) where applications can see them.
Some discipline will be required, though: all apps must include
FOOlib-config.h before including any system include file.