autom4te: need GNU m4 1.4 or later: /usr/ccs/bin/m4

From: jling
Subject: autom4te: need GNU m4 1.4 or later: /usr/ccs/bin/m4
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 04:37:17 -0500

I'm posting this message because I had a hard time discovering (in
these forums and in web searches and manual searches), a very simple
plausible explanation for an error I was receiving.  Hopefully, it will
help someone avoid spending the time it took for me to get to this
solution.

The error I got was after running aclocal and followed by autoconf:

autom4te: need GNU m4 1.4 or later: /usr/ccs/bin/m4

In my case running on SunOS, had two installs of m4 (multiple m4
installs).  One was in /usr/ccs/bin and the other was a GNU verion
in /usr/local/bin.

If you did a "m4 --version" you would get the correct GNU m4 1.4
responding, as it is in the PATH environment first.  Yet autoconf was
picking up the older version in /usr/ccs/bin.

If you did a "whereis m4" you get:
m4: /usr/ccs/bin/m4 /usr/local/bin/m4

The PATH environment variable had no affect on this search ordering
that the whereis command was using and apparently autoconf was using
this same search ordering.

But, by chance I discovered the m4 environment variable, that you can
set to notify autoconf of which m4 to use (i.e. selecting m4).  So I
put:

setenv M4 /usr/local/bin/m4

in my .cshrc and now autoconf picked the correct one that I wanted ...
no more error.

At least for me, it was hard for me to link that error message with
this bit of, what should be, common knowledge.  I hope it eases
someones pain. :)

John Ling